This year our teachers are, Mrs Naish on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and Mrs Jeffreys on Thursdays and Fridays. Mrs Huckson is our Teaching Assistant.
Our Speech and Language Therapist is Mrs Williams and our Speech and Language Technical Assistant is Miss Ryder.
We have karate with Sensei Rob on Thursdays and Jenny from Gabalfa Hub library comes in on Fridays to share stories with us.
P.E is every Monday and Friday, please can the children bring their PE kits in every Monday and they will bring them home on Fridays. Thankyou
Please can parents write a brief note of your weekend to help us to write our weekend news on a Monday morning, Thankyou.
Reading books will be sent home on a Friday to read over the weekend and please return on a Monday.
Homework will be sent home on a Friday too and please return on a Monday.
Children returning all these 3 things on a Monday morning can win a star towards a prize!
This half term our topic is 'Me, Myself and I'
Our big books linked to this topic are : My five senses and I went to school this morning. We will be learning how to have conversations, listening, responding and taking turns to speak. We will be learning how words are made up e.g. Sounds and syllables and how to read CVC (consonant, vowel, consonant) words and retell events from a story in the right order.
In Maths we will be covering Length and height. Looking at our hand and feet sizes. Time - looking at days of the week, months and seasons.
In ICT we will creating and presenting ideas using text, sound and images to give interest to the audience.
In Knowledge and Understanding of the World - We will be beginning to understand the passing of time, sequencing some events and anticipating the future. We will also be sorting objects and materials linked to the topic.
Personal, Social and Emotional - Recognise feelings and express them. Also, begin to understand that all living things should be treated with care and respect and begin to recognise appropriate behaviour in different situations and respond to reason.
Below are Big Maths jingles for our 'Learn its'
Please feel free to practice as often as you like
Fun with our faces!
We put our face jigsaws together again
Look below for memories of Dosbarth Coch from 2016-2017
Our teacher is Ms. James. Our teaching assistant is Mrs. Huckson.
Miss Rimell joins us every Wednesday for Design and to teach us new I.T. skills. She also our teaching assistant on a Friday.
Jon joins us on a Tuesday for music.
Have a look around our class room. We change the role play areas so that they reflect our current context for learning.
On The Move
Below is a taste of some of the work we will be covering in each curriculum area:
Language Literacy & Communication
- We have a Travel Agents and an outside Garage in our Role Play Areas to play in with our friends.
- Talking to each other using our new topic words we have learnt on our word maps.
- Writing using our topic words and learning about exclamation marks ! and question marks ?
- Our big books this term are - Dan the Flying Man; Mrs Armitage on Wheels; The Train Ride; Super Sonic Engine juice - some of these include rhyming words.
- We will be taking trips to the Airport, Rowing club and the Train Station.
-Kerb Kraft will visting and giving us Road Safety training. We also have a visit by the Fire Service too.
- Using data to sort & classify different types of transport/vehicles.
- Gather and record data from block graphs and pictograms.
- To order the days of the week, months and seasons of the year.
- To start to tell the time o'clock; half past; quarter past; quarter to on an analogue clock & digital
- We will be using remote control cars to learn about angles - whole, half & quarter turns. We will also learn what 'anticlockwise' and 'clockwise' mean.
- We will learn how to measure distance e.g. Length of a train, distance travelled when playing with cars, planes etc.
Knowledge and Understanding of the World
- When we visit various transport places, we will be looking at train time tables and airport time schedules.
- We will describe 'where' using our own mind maps.
- We will look at best materials to make boats linked to experiments with floating and sinking.
- We will also investigate and measure how far our paper aeroplanes can fly.
- Choose different sounds/instruments to use in our big book stories.
- Use different types of movement including shape and rhythm to music - using Rocket Man (Elton John) and Sea Shanties.
- Design and create own transport vehicles.
- working on own then with a partner creating and developing moves in gym and dance.
- making vehicles from different kits e.g. Lego, Knex and Popoids.
- taking part in LitFit, gaining strength and stamina in preperation for writing. We also use Handwriting Motorway exercises and Write Dance.
Personal and Social Development
- Recognising different cultures using Special Books. Becoming aware of differences/similarities between self and peers and being sensitive to others.
- Developing awareness of own safety and dangerous hazards and linking with KerbKraft training.
Autumn Term 2016
Our Context For Learning this term is
Pets and Vets
Below is a taste of some of the work we will be doing in each Curriculum area:
Language, Literacy and Communication
-talking about our pets at home
-asking questions about our friends' pets and asking question on our trips to find out more information
-using books and the internet to research information on different pets
-designing and making information leaflets about taking care of a chosen pets
-learning more about the sounds and names of the letters of the alphabet and how this can help us with our spelling and using dictionaries, both books and online.
-listening for rhyme in stories and poems and making up our own rhymes
Some of the books we will be reading as a class are: The Pet Shop, The Great Pet Sale, Huggly, Snuggly Pets
-our role play area will be a Vet's Surgery
-recording which pets and how many we see on our trips and then using this data to make a bar chart
-learning the names and properties of 2D and 3D shapes
-copying, continuing and making up our own repeating patterns using pictures of pets, numbers and letters of the alphabet
-telling the time using an analogue clock
-measuring the weight of solids and volume of liquids that are needed in a cooking recipe when we use the apples from our orchard to make apple crumble and apple juice
-Big Maths for our numeracy work
Knowledge & Understanding of The World
-catergorising creatures according to their living environment
-learning about the work of the RSPCA
-linking human body parts to those of animals and discussing the similarity and differences
-trips to Pets At Home and Smart Veterinary Clinic
-visit from the RSPCA
-practising songs for the Harvest Festival
-creating sound effects appropriate for our class stories
-designing and making bowls for our pets using clay
-working with Dosbarth Oren to develop our dance skills with a partner
-developing our skills in balancing and jumping
-working collaboratively, first on our own and then with a partner, to help each other improve
-following instruction kits to make models of pets
-practising and improving our hand writing
Personal & Social Development, Well Being and Cultural Diversity
-linking our personal needs to stay safe and healthy to the needs of our pets
-developing our understanding and ability to treat all living things with care, respect and concern
-play co-operatively with our friends
-understand our own feelings and those of others
Summer Term 2016- Here comes the Sun
Language, Literacy and Communication-
In our Literacy lessons we will be reading lots of information texts about plants. We will be carrying on learning more high frequency words and practising writing in sentences using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. We will use our POPAT strips to help us with our spellings and we will also be starting to write our own imaginative stories.
We go to our numeracy groups every day after lunch. In these groups we will be doing Little Big Maths or Big Maths, learning to count, remember number facts, use our number facts and complete calculations. In class we will work on activities linked to our topic including collecting information and using it to make tables, graphs and pictograms.
Our minibeast hunt- 4.5.16
As part of our work learning about minibeasts we went on a trip to Cogmoors. We had lots of fun hunting for minibeasts in the pond and on the land.
Our trip to the Butterfly Zoo- 18.4.16
As part of our knowledge and understanding work we visited the Butterfly Zoo. We saw butterflies at different stages of their lifecycle and looked at them with magnifying glasses. Some of them even landed on Miss James and Mrs Jones!!
World Book Day 2016
On Wednesday 23rd March we celebrated World Book Day. We read the story of The Little Red Hen and made bread just like she did in the story!! We also had fun making our own paper plate hens and we decorated our classroom door.
Our trip to Amelia Farm
We had a lovely day at Amelia Farm with Dosbarth Melyn. We saw lots of animals such as chickens, pigs, sheep and donkeys. We learnt about the animals and where they live and we were allowed to touch some of them.
We saw some of the eggs that the chickens had laid and were allowed to hold them. They still felt nice and warm!
We went on a lovely walk through the woods and spotted lots of fairy doors hiding high up in the trees.
St David's Day 2016
We celebrated St David's Day in school. We wore our red clothes and took part in lots of fun activities.
We did traditional Welsh folk dancing with Dosbarth Porffor, made Daffodils, Welsh bracelets and necklaces and shields. It was a lovely day!!
We have also been making Welsh cakes.
We practised using a weighing sclaes to weigh out the correct amount of each ingredient .
They tasted delicious!!
Spring Term 2016
Our Context for Learning is 'Welsh Wash Day'
We have been learning all about how they washed clothes a long time ago. We have learnt the names of the different things they used and what they did with them such as the wash tub, dolly, mangle and washboard.
We have enjoyed using our role play area to wash the clothes!
We have done some fantastic writing about wash day and made our own books!
Have a look below!